Nothing screams summer like watermelon and ice cream! This creamy, easy watermelon ice cream can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes once your frozen watermelon chunks are ready. Perfect for summer, this sweet treat is healthy, refreshing, and vegan!
3 cups frozen watermelon
1 cup vanilla almond milk (or other milk alternative. Feel free to use milk or cream if you prefer dairy)
Prepare the watermelon
- Cut your watermelon into small chunks, removing both the outer rind and black seeds (if there are any).
- Freeze the watermelon chunks for at least 4-5 hours, until fully frozen.
Make the ice cream
- Add the watermelon chunks to a blender with the almond milk.
- Scoop the watermelon ice cream into bowls for serving immediately.
- Blend until you have a thick, creamy consistency. Serve and enjoy!
- If you want to make this in advance, transfer your ice cream to a loaf pan or container and place back in the freezer.
- Let it sit at room temperature for ten minutes before scooping so it softens a bit, serve and enjoy.
Tips For Choosing a Ripe Watermelon:
Everyone has different techniques for choosing a ripe melon. Below are a few tips I found helpful for picking the perfect watermelon!
- Look for a field spot. A field spot is the large yellow spot where the watermelon was laying in the field. Although watermelons without a field spot may look more attractive, the field spot indicates that the watermelon has been sitting in the field getting ripe and juicy.
- Dullness on the outside. The outside of the watermelon should look dull, not shiny. A shiny watermelon means it’s not ripe.
- Check the weight of your watermelon. A perfectly juicy watermelon should feel heavy in comparison to its size, indicating its high water content. If you're unsure, pick up a few melons to compare and go with the heaviest one. It will be harder to carry but well worth enjoying the perfect watermelon:-)