Nothing screams summer like watermelon and ice cream! This creamy, easy watermelon ice cream can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes once your frozen watermelon chunks are ready. Perfect for summer, this sweet treat is healthy, refreshing, and vegan!
3 cups frozen watermelon
1 cup vanilla almond milk (or other milk alternative. Feel free to use milk or cream if you prefer dairy)
Prepare the watermelon
- Cut your watermelon into small chunks, removing both the outer rind and black seeds (if there are any).
- Freeze the watermelon chunks for at least 4-5 hours, until fully frozen.
Make the ice cream
- Add the watermelon chunks to a blender with the almond milk.
- Scoop the watermelon ice cream into bowls for serving immediately.
- Blend until you have a thick, creamy consistency. Serve and enjoy!
- If you want to make this in advance, transfer your ice cream to a loaf pan or container and place back in the freezer.
- Let it sit at room temperature for ten minutes before scooping so it softens a bit, serve and enjoy.
Tips For Choosing a Ripe Watermelon:
Everyone has different techniques for choosing a ripe melon. Below are a few tips I found helpful for picking the perfect watermelon!
Look for a field spot. A field spot is the large yellow spot where the watermelon was laying in the field. Although watermelons without a field spot may look more attractive, the field spot indicates that the watermelon has been sitting in the field getting ripe and juicy.
Dullness on the outside. The outside of the watermelon should look dull, not shiny. A shiny watermelon means it’s not ripe.
Check the weight of your watermelon. A perfectly juicy watermelon should feel heavy in comparison to its size, indicating its high water content. If you're unsure, pick up a few melons to compare and go with the heaviest one. It will be harder to carry but well worth enjoying the perfect watermelon:-)
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.